Thursday, December 15, 2011

Christmas Joy!!

These are the literacy tubs for this week.  I don't think I took any pictures last week.  Sorry!!  This time of year is crazy with all the normal stuff and then Christmas thrown in.  We are also testing for report cards and GT testing! 
 This is a game where the dice is "rolled" and that number of ornaments is added to the tree.  Each child has his own tree and die and the bags have a numbered ornament so the center can be cleaned up by the kids.  That's the way I like it!

 Writing sight words on a chalk board with chalk was so exciting to the kids!  They had no idea this used to be the only way to write.  They L.O.V.E.D it!!!
 Matching uppercase to lowercase with stamps was a lot of fun this week too.
 This tub had three games that required pinching (like a pencil grip!) to pick up the pieces.  They made pictures with little pegs.  A lite brite would be awesome here but I did not have one! :(
This one was Ants in the Pants.  It worked better once they moved to the tile floor. The ants hopped better.  The third game was Don't Spill the Beans.  I didn't get a picture of it that I could find.  My batteries often run out right in the middle of a great opportunity and I forget where I was.

We have been reading lots of Christmas books and doing activities along with them when we could.  We read a darling book about different animals wanting to pull the sleigh and how the reindeer came about to be the one to do the job.  The kids then drew a sleigh and added any animal they wanted to.  I have some real artists in my class!
 We wanted to do some writing and one of the ways a writer writes is to make a todo list.  I showed them my todo list and we talked about moms having lots of errands to run.  We created these elves and then copied a todo list to add to each one.  I loved the way they turned out.
 We made Santas today and I want to add a list to his hand with something each child wants for Christmas and something each child needs for Christmas.  We are discussing wants and needs.  I wish I had known the difference when I was growing up!!
Miss Hood did a lesson with sequencing with the kids.  They set the tree right side up to begin with.  They decorated the tree with lights, then ornaments, then the star.   She had them cut pictures and words to glue under a flap book in the right order.  It was fun and the kids did a good job.  And she let me keep the tree until after Christmas so I don't have to set my own up.  Yeah!!!

 
 We sequenced our names on press out lights and glued to a yarn string.  The kids got the letters in order mostly but some of them started on the right!  We had to fix that!
 These are our ornaments.  They are made with a handprint painted white.  It comes with a little poem and the kids will take it home on the last day of school.
 This was from Deanna Jump's Christmas book on Teacherspayteachers.  We graphed if we like candy canes or not.  The stars do not like candy canes and the candy canes do like them!

No comments:

Post a Comment